What is a dental implant? You may have heard about this procedure and have some questions. It can be used to mount dentures and bridges, or it can be a replacement for a missing tooth. Dental implants last a lifetime and are custom made for your mouth and smile. Pearlee Dental, your dentist in Ottawa, wants you to know more about this procedure and if it may be right for you.
The implant may be the way to replace one or more missing teeth. You may feel self-conscious, while smiling, because a front tooth is missing; the implant and replacement tooth will look and feel natural, enhancing eating as well as self esteem.
What Is a Dental Implant?
The dental implant is a tooth in the form of titanium metal, which is placed in the jawbone, replacing the root of a natural tooth that is missing. In this manner, a sturdy base allows mounting of a natural looking tooth. It may be an alternative to bridges, partials or dentures. A compete denture may be an implant, or the implant can be used to anchor a denture.
Who Can Perform an Implant?
Dentists who are trained in this area may perform an implant. They may be a trained oral surgeon or a prosthodontics, one who places dentures, crown and bridges.
What Is the Process?
The dental implant is done over a period of time, since healing of the gums is important. Each situation is unique, and the procedure will be tailored to your needs.
- Exam and x-ray of head, jaw and teeth and consultation to be sure it is right for you
- Implant inserted into jawbone beneath gum, which may take several months to heal
- An abutment, a post connected to the implant is placed; it will connect the tooth to the implant. In some cases, the implant and abutment may be done at the same time.
- An artificial tooth is made, which is attached to the abutment
- If several teeth are replaced, a fixed bridge may be anchored to the completed implants, it will then span the missing tooth or teeth. Permanent implants hold the bridge firmly in place
How Long Will It Take?
Because healing time is required, a dental implant may be done over the course of months. Pearlee Dental Clinic will ensure that your implant is healed and installed to the highest standards.
If you are thinking of an implant to replace a missing tooth or teeth, it is best to make an appointment for a FREE consultation to discuss your needs and customization of your implant. After visiting our Ottawa Baseline Road clinic and talking to the dentist, you will know whether the dental implant may be the right solution for your needs.